Why I Do What I Do


“Never underestimate the difference you can make in the lives of others. Step forward, reach out and help. This week reach to someone that might need a lift.”
– Pablo



Why I Do What I Do

In the spring of 1982, when I was a sophomore in college preparing for finals, I saw on the news that Braniff Airways declared bankruptcy. This meant a great deal to me because my father was a pilot and my mother a flight attendant for Braniff. As the oldest of four children, my life (and our lives) became more difficult because, with two unemployed parents, we were in tremendous financial trouble.


Things didn’t improve from there. Because of union rules at that time made it nearly impossible for someone over 35 years old to get a commercial flying job, my father had a tough time finding a job but he kept trying, sending endless resumés and cover letters, willing to go anywhere they would let him fly. Finally, after two years, he able to find a job as a pilot for Piedmont Airlines.




Life during those two years wasn’t easy but we weren’t alone. Many of my dad’s friends were in the same position and they came through for our family when we needed them. However, many of my family’s friends, including many very close ones, didn’t show up at all. Their absence was glaring, and I know their lack of support had an effect on my parents. I’m not sure if he held a grudge or not but I have to think he remembered who wasn’t there when he needed the help. My mother, however, was not quite as forgiving. To this day, she refuses to speak to anyone who, she believes, abandoned them.

Today, now 40 years later, I have been an executive search consultant for the bulk of my career. While I work with high powered hospital executives, I believe the experience with my father affected me. I am continually working with people who are either transitioning or have lost their jobs. I have tried to use what I learned from my dad’s experience to be a more helpful resource to those who need it. I believe deeply that it’s important to lend a hand to someone, regardless of their status or their ability to offer you anything in return. While I haven’t always been able to do this as much as I liked, I always try and be of value to those who need it.

When thinking about my father’s transition period, I consider my mother’s reaction to those who didn’t support us. What was it that got her so angry? Knowing what I know, I realize that being there for those in need is just the right thing to do.

During that two-year period when my father couldn’t support us, it hurt him deeply. He did anything to earn money for the family, despite the fact that he knew, deep down, he was meant a pilot. No job was too small. He mowed lawns, washed windows, worked as a messenger and even hauled hay to provide for us. To be able to continue in college, I had to get a job roughnecking in the oil fields. We were doing all we could to stay afloat.



Why Help Those in Transition
Just because someone doesn’t have anything to offer you in return does not mean they aren’t deserving of your support. It’s important to be there for someone regardless. Like my parents, people will remember if you were there for them or not so, if you’re not, be aware that there may be consequences. So, what do you do when people come to you in need?

First and foremost, take their calls. Don’t ignore them when they need you the most. You’d be surprised how far a conversation, a simple acknowledgement of their situation and feelings, can go.
If possible, take them out to lunch and pay for it (without expecting anything in return). Face-to-face interaction is incredibly important. Your friend, family member or co-worker will feel seen and still a part of the community, despite the difficult time in his/her life. Not worrying about having to pay for a meal will also be a help.
Help them network. If you’re employed or in a position of power, use whatever resources you have available to help them find work. Actively helping them will show them that they have support, increase their self-worth and, potentially, get the positive results in their job search.
If you work in the same industry (or an industry they can transition to) and are aware of a function with some potential connections, invite them. People like to hire people they know or have at least heard of. Providing employers with a face to the name is invaluable and, soon, he/she will be able to network more without your help.
If they need something, do your best to be there. Favors are almost currency when you don’t have an income. If someone in transition needs help, try your best to do it! Watch their kids while they look for work, drive them to an interview, let them borrow nice clothes to impress a potential employer.

Loan them money, even if you don’t expect it back. If you can afford it, give people in transition a loan that you may never see repaid. They’re most likely not going to want you to give them money as an act of charity so, initially, this should be a loan. But realize, times are tough for them and they may never be able to pay you.

Give advice based on your industry knowledge. You are a wealth of information, more so than you know. Help them understand the industry better and prepare them for what they’re about to face.

If you are able to hire consultants, hire them. Help them through this rough period with a little work and little income. It will help them pay the bills and add value in an otherwise difficult period.

If you know someone who is in transition, or are in transition yourself, don’t hesitate to give me a call at 972.768.5827. I’m happy to help.



Executive Search, Career Branding, Grey Hustle
Neill Marshall has almost 30 years of experience in healthcare executive search with involvement in over 600 hundred senior-level assignments. In 2017 he helped create and is currently a partner in HealthSearch Partners, the fifth largest healthcare executive search entity in the U.S.

HealthSearch Partners is the combination of CES Partners, FaithSearch Partners, and Southerland Partners. In 2005, Marshall founded Marshall Koll & Associates and prior to Marshall Koll, was a consultant with Witt/Kieffer in Dallas.

A serial entrepreneur who has started three successful companies, Marshall has spoken to professional groups, trustee groups and boards of directors on career, professional and personal branding, the grey hustle, growing your career, executive recruiting and other healthcare issues and has written numerous articles and promotional publications.

Comments